Sunday 5 February 2017

How to Have the Best Sleep of Your Life

Best Sleep Of Your LifeI have always been one of those people who has had trouble sleeping. I wish that as soon as I lay my head on my pillow I would magically fall asleep, but instead, I lay awake knowing I really need to get some shut eye, but for some reason just can’t get my mind to switch off. To make things worse, once I do get to sleep, I tend to wake up numerous times during the night and have to go through the whole process of falling asleep again. 


Over the years, I’ve seen several people who have tried to help me improve the quality and duration of my sleep and I have collected some helpful tips to share that have worked for me.

Tip 1: Wear a sleep mask.

If you’re like me and wake up during the night and can’t seem to fall back asleep and just end up staring at your ceiling, then try wearing a sleep mask. I’ve found that wearing a mask helps me fall back asleep quicker because all I see is darkness and sometimes I don't even realise I'm awake. My favourite ones are the Typo ones here.


Tip 2: Switch off your electronics half an hour or more before bed. 

This was one of the hardest things for me to turn into a habit. I would always use my Ipad before bed and as a result, I would have trouble falling asleep and I'd also wake up the next morning with sore eyes. Now I find it really easy not to use my Ipad as I know that if I don’t, I will get a good night’s rest. The reason behind not using electronics is because the screen emits a blue light which when looking at, limits the amount of melatonin produced which is a hormone in charge of our circadian rhythm (sleep/wake cycle). It promotes a sense of wakefulness which is why people have trouble falling asleep. However, if the thought of turning off your electronics is daunting, there is now software that changes the blue light to a less harsh one. For Android, try Twilight, for a computer there is f.lux, and updated Apple devices have a setting to change the screen light at night time. 

Tip 3: Spray some essential oils or night spray. 

Certain scents can help to calm our body and promotes better sleep. All you need to do is spray some in the air or on your pillow before bed. If you don’t have a spray, put a few drops on a handkerchief and place under your pillow. My favourite is one made by The Body Shop which can be found here

Tip 4: Wake up at the same time every morning.

When you wake up at the same time, you are training your circadian rhythm to become stable. By having a stable rhythm, your body will naturally feel tired at the same time every night which will help you to fall asleep quicker. It is also a great way to be more productive during the day.


These are the 4 main tips that I have tried over the years and have found to work. Hopefully, these tips can also help you get a good night’s sleep! Have your own tip? Share it in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment